This week Stefan sat down with Michael Wenner, VP of Marketing at Masterworks; the world’s largest (and arguably only) platform dedicated to buying fractional shares of high-quality contemporary artwork.
In the chat, Stefan and Michael discuss:
Artwork as the oldest “newest” asset class
How Masterworks digitized decades of sales data; including activity, research, and other data points
How Masterworks has published their database for anyone to see, and parallels with what Case-Schiller did for real estate
Why effectively 0% of institutional capital is directed toward art — and why that will change
What attributes Masterworks looks for when buying artwork (cultural significance + momentum)
Living artists vs dead artists: Why living artists have a greater appreciation rate, but also a higher risk/loss rate
Why selling artwork to a museum is the ultimate exit.
The future of fractionalized artwork investing; including thoughts on the NFT artwork (spoiler: he thinks it’s a fad)
– Website & newsletter: https://alts.co
– Discord: https://discord.gg/DEkHgzggwC
– Twitter: https://twitter.com/altassetsclub
– Insta: https://instagram.com/alts_co
– TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@alts_co
– Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpmgk4gzQ56QvpyegBJJVQA?sub_confirmation=1